Kale chips are one of my favorite things to eat especially the cheezy kind. This dish takes my favorite snack and turns it into the perfect side. Lacinato, also known as Dinosaur Kale or Tuscan Kale, is great in this recipe but you could use any dark leafy green such as collards, spinach or other varieties of kale. This recipe is great for the entire family, even the “health food haters” will love this dish.
Serves 2-4 as a side or snack
• 1 bunch of Lacinato Kale, about 4 cups thinly sliced
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or other nondairy milk
• 1 Tbsp + 1tsp nutritional yeast
• 1 tsp miso, I prefer red
• pinch of cayenne (optional) *Reduce or omit cayenne if serving to children
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp salt
1. In a small bowl whisk together the almond milk, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, miso and cayenne.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and garlic until aromatic; about 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir the kale into the garlic and olive oil; turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.
4. Stir in the almond milk mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has reduced slightly and kale is completely soft.