Hi Running with Tongs readers! I’m Brittany Mullins, a full-time online marketing gal, holistic health coach living in Richmond, Virginia. I’m also the author of Eating Bird Food, a healthy living blog that features nutritious (and tasty) recipes, workouts and a glimpse into my daily life, which is currently being taken over by wedding planning.
I’m excited to be guest posting for Lindsay while she’s pampering her new little bundle of joy. This is actually my second time guest posting here on Running with Tongs. Last time I shared my kale and brown rice bowls and they went over quite well so I figured I would share another vegan favorite – my raw broccoli raisin salad.
This broccoli salad is much healthier than the one I grew up eating, which was loaded with mayo, sugar and bacon. It’s still crunchy, rich in flavor and sweet but with much healthier ingredients like raw nuts, seeds and raisins. I even managed to sneak uber-healthy apple cider vinegar into the dressing!
Raw Broccoli Raisin Salad
- 6 cups broccoli (two small to medium sized crowns), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Cashew dressing (recipe below)
- Mix together broccoli, raisins, red onion, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- Top with dressing and combine until all ingredients are covered.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 1- 2 hours
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon agave (or other liquid sweetener like maple syrup)
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender or processor until completely smooth.
Thank you Lindsay for allowing me to guest post! I hope you all enjoy this salad as much as I do.