Baked Pumpkin Mac and Cheeze
4 small servings or 2 large
½ lb WW Penne
Salt & Pepper
1 T Olive oil
1 T Margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
1 small Onion, diced
1 t Dried Thyme
3 T AP Flour
1 C Vegan “chicken” broth (I used Imagine No Chicken Broth)
1 small Pie Pumpkin, roasted* or 1 can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie)
½ C Unflavored Soy Milk (or non-dairy milk)
½ C Vegan Cheese Spread (I used Wayfare cheese spread however you can use any vegan cheese spread you like or vegan cream cheese would work great as well)
1/4 C Nutritional Yeast
¼ t ground nutmeg
1/3 C WW Bread Crumbs
1/3 C French Fried Onions (I like the Trade Joe’s Brand)
*For the pumpkin: Preheat oven to 350F. Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Lay cut side down on a baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 35-40 min, until the pumpkin can easily be scooped out of it’s skin. Scoop the pumpkin out and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Heat a pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water and add the pasta, cook until al dente (will cook a bit more in the oven).
- While pasta is cooking, heat a medium heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the oil and margarine.
- Add the thyme and onion to the melted margarine/oil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the stock.
- Stir in the squash and soy milk and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cheese spread, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Once everything is well combined stir in the drained pasta.
- Transfer the mac and cheeze mixture into a baking dish and top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 min, until browned and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5minutes before serving.