This past weekend the Hubz and I headed to the boonies to visit my parents for the night. When we arrived we were greeted by howling winds and snow showers and I thought what better way to warm up than a warm cup of soup.
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 quart of vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup quick oats (must me quick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat heat the olive oil; stir in the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes until they being to soften.
- Stir in the garlic, cauliflower and broccoli and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and the quick oats; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 7-10 minutes until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Place in a blender (you will have to do this in batches) and blend until slightly smooth; keep it somewhat a rough consistency for a more rustic feeling.
- Return the pot to the stove and gentle re-heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.