This burger is great for the entire family! Serve on a bun or in a wrap and top with your favorite condiments! Have extra patties? Freeze them and cook them up whenever you have a craving for a yummy veggie burger.
• 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
• 1/3 cup bell pepper (color of your choice), finely diced
• 1/3 cup corn, frozen or fresh
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 4oz (1/2 package) tempeh, grated
• 1 (15oz) can of kidney beans, black beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed then pulsed in a food processor 2-3 times
• 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
• 1 tsp each of cumin, chili powder, Italian seasoning & paprika
• 1.5 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 1 Tbsp hot sauce
• 1 tsp sherry or red wine vinegar
• 2-4 Tbsp water
1. In a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; add in the onion, pepper and corn and saute for 6-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for an additional 5-6 minutes until the onions and peppers begin to caramelize. Transfer the onion mixture to a large mixing bowl.
2. To the mixing bowl add the grated tempeh, beans, wheat gluten, spices, salt and pepper; stir to combine. With a wooden spoon stir in the hot sauce, vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir until the mixture begins to come together similar to a dough; if the mixture seems dry add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Once the burger mixture has come together form into six thin patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. To cook the patties, heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the patties for about 5 minutes per side; until they are firm to the touch.
Serve on a bun with your favorite fixin’s!
Good Morning! I hope you all enjoyed my late night Vlog which gave any of you curious readers a chance to hear what I sound like. Now I’m up early ready for oats and coffee (which I hope the husband will be making soon, ahem) but first I thought I might take a minute before I jump into my busy day to blog about our yummy dinner last night.
The Hubz and I haven’t had Friday night Date Night in a really long time and we were itching to get out and have really good food, drinks and conversation. After a little thought we decided there is nothing wrong with doing the same ol’ thing- head to The Farmhouse Tap & Grill for delicious beer and food. We tend to go here most Date Nights because we love the atmosphere, the food and the beer; nothing wrong with enjoying a good thing.
Last night was incredibly busy and we waited over an hour for a table and then we had to wait awhile longer than usual for our food, however we were in no rush so we grabbed a beer at the bar and enjoyed each others company.
Once we finally were seated we had no problem ordering since there are generally only three things we ever get:
- The tofu burger with no bun (not vegan), no cheese (obviously not vegan) and sub sauteed kale for the bun and we either have it with their amazing fries or greens
- The nitty gritty corn cakes which come with sauteed greens and mushrooms with the cider or lemon vinaigrette instead of the buttermilk
- The vegan plate- this is not officially on the menu but you can just ask and they will make you a great plate with fresh local veggies that have been sauteed and served with grilled local crusty bread
We also occasionally get the olive starter as well but it’s a huge bowl so we only get it when we go with others.
Tonight I went with the nitty gritty corn cakes
and the Hubz the burger with fries
and we both topped it them with their yummy ketchup, mustard and BBQ sauces.
Five Star Foodies generously sent me a few samples of their products to try out. Five Star Foodies sent me their Artichoke Burgers, Gourmet Meat-less Grillers, Vegetarian Sloppy Joe and Tofu Egg Salad. They also have a few other products that I have yet to try which include Vegetarian Harvest Roast, Vegetarian Gourmet Gravy, Save a Chicken Salad and Ginger Cider & Hibiscus Cider.
I ate the egg salad with some crackers and veggies and it was amazing. Honestly one of the best tofu egg salad I have ever had. I honestly was a bit skeptical at first since it came frozen but it thawed out fine and had amazing flavor.
These were my absolute favorite of all the items. There is no need to have a bun around this burger rather top with with some sautéed onions and mushrooms and a little mustard. These are amazing!
This was delicious, topped some toasted whole wheat bread with this and it was delicious.
I also loved these and with only 100 calories they are great. I are these with a bun, mushrooms, onions and mustard, so good. These had a grilled taste without have to get the grill out.
Blogger Disclaimer: Five Star Foodies provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product.