- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 4oz (1/2 package) tempeh, grated
- 8oz mushrooms, quarter and pulsed in a food processor 5-6 times
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed fennel
- 1/4 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth + 1 tbsp cornstarch, whisked together
- 1/4 cup non-dairy creamer
1. In a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; add in the onion saute for 5-6 minutes until the onions begin to caramelize. Transfer the onion to a large mixing bowl.
2. To the mixing bowl, add the grated tempeh, mushrooms, wheat gluten, parsley, spices, salt and pepper; stir to combine. With a wooden spoon stir in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and 4 tablespoons of
water. Stir until the mixture begins to come together as a dough; if the mixture seems dry add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil oil over medium-high heat. Crumble the sausage mixture into the pan and cook until browned. Stir in the vegetable broth mixture and non-dairy creamer and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Serve the gravy over your favorite savory baked good.