I came across Angela of Oh She Glows recipe for 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta and I thought it sounded really great. Since I had a bunch of avocados to use up this week I decided to create this recipe with a twist; I really wanted to add more veggies and protein to the dish and spice it up a little.
The first thing I did was weigh out four portions of pasta, two for this dish and two for a dish I made for our lunches. I love using a kitchen scale for things like pasta and snacks because it gives a much more accurate portion than just counting how many crackers are in a serving or approximate measurement.
Tex Mex Avocado Pasta
Inspired by Oh She Glows
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 12 oz grape tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp basil infused olive oil
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 servings of pasta (I used Jovial Whole Grain Fusilli)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Place the chickpeas and tomatoes in a medium oven safe bowl and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set to the side.
- Cook your pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In a mini chopper or food processor add the avocado, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, basil olive oil, and smoked paprika and blend until smooth.
- To a large bowl add the baby spinach, tomatoes & chickpeas and sauce and top with the cooked pasta; mix to combine. Serve immediately.