My husband and I are in the middle of chaos right now because we are moving at the end of June and we have a million things going on this and next month. We have wonderful friends from Toronto visiting next weekend and then the following weekend we are headed to Acadia for our anniversary camping trip. June is then filled with graduation parties and a necessary huge yard sale. This is causing some imbalances in my life right now but I am looking forward to moving into our brand new apartment overlooking Lake Champlain. It will be a very positive (and necessary) change for both my husband and myself.
I have discussed self care in previous post and this is another key to taking care of yourself- living where you feel comfortable. A home should not be a hotel and nowadays it seems that people are constantly on the move and the majority of time spent at home is to shower and sleep. I would like to challenge you to take 1 or 2 days a month and spend the entire day at home and see how it makes you feel; do you feel comfortable? do you enjoy spending time at home?
If you don’t feel comfortable or enjoy being home try and recognize what is making you feel that way. Maybe it’s because your house is not as clean as you would like it or maybe it’s because the people above you won’t stop playing their fiddles at all hours of the day. If there are things that are making you not want to be home consider making changes to create a place where you do feel comfortable. This may mean hiring someone to clean your house because frankly between work, events and fitness classes you just don’t have time or motivation to go home and clean your house. If hiring someone is not in your budget consider enlisting a friend to help you get things in order so your home is in a state that is manageable.
If your living situation is not ideal for other reasons such as you are living with people that surround you with negative energy or in an apartment where you can’t get comfortable because the person above you won’t stop having fiddle sessions that include the stomping of feet then I encourage you to seek a new living arrangement. If you are in a lease that you can’t get out of make the best of your situation and surround yourself with positive things while looking for a new place to move.
For us it has been a combination of the state of our house and how it has turned into a hotel since we commute and it’s hard to keep up on household chores, as well as the fact that we live in a shared house where we are unable to be comfortable because of all that incessant fiddling going on above us.
This new apartment will bring a lot of positive changes to our lives:
- NO MORE COMMUTING! That is one of the biggest ones because right now my husband and I commute 80 miles a day and since my hours are different than my husbands I spend half my day hanging out in the coffee shop next to his work waiting to go to work and then waiting for him to get out.
- I can get back to my yoga practice – I have started to lose touch with my yoga practice due to all the chaos that has filled our lives right now and the fact that I am never home and am unable to attend classes right now.
- We will have a new space and live in an area that we know that we will be happier. How can you not look forward to living in an apartment with a view of the lake and a 2 minute walk from the bike path? We can finally spend our evenings relaxing after work, not feeling rushed to fix meals and finally have a home not a giant hotel room. Also we will now live in the same area as our friends so I plan on having tons of dinner parties…..as soon as we get a new dining room table….but that’s another story.
Now that we are moving we are trying to get rid of the clutter before we move but have also come to the realization that we are going to have to do some shopping. We need:
- A washer and dryer
- A vacuum (we have hardwood floors in our current place)
- Items for a second bathroom
- 2 Bar Stools for the island in our new kitchen
- A dining room table
- A bedroom set
- A new desk
A lot of items right! We won’t be getting all of these items at once but hopefully over the next year. Q: where do you like to buy your furniture, house decorating items and any suggestions of a w/d or vacuum?
Also in more blog related news Cook.Vegan.Lover. is in the works of getting a face lift and will hopefully be ready by the end of the weekend or early next week. So keep your eyes peeled!