My tips for eating a healthy vegan diet outside the home
- When eating out at restaurants check out the menu online prior to your visit, this will help you to know what your options are and make healthy choices.
- Avoid dishes that are made with high calorie or sugary sauces such as ones that you find at Asian restaurants. Look for dishes that are filled with veggies, grains and a protein.
- Share an entree with a friend or significant other to avoid over eating since most restaurants serve portions that serve two to three people or try ordering a salad/vegetable side and an appetizer.
- At parties/gatherings bring a healthy dish to share; this is a great way to guarantee that there is something for you to eat besides chips and introduces your friends to something new. If bringing a dish is not appropriate than eat something healthy before your get there and limit the amount of chips and other unhealthy goodies you might want to eat.
- Practice the 90/10 rule. This rule is that you eat really well 90% of the time and the other 10% you eat however you like. Now this could be having some soy ice cream at home or you a great time to use you 10% is when eating out at your favorite restaurant or at a party. Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean never enjoying your favorite treats like pizza, fries and chips. Everything is in moderation and if you are eating healthy 90% of the time allow yourself 10% to indulge without guilt.