Upton’s Naturals sent me a variety of their seitans for review last week and I have been working my way through the flavors. Last night I decided to make stuffed potato skins with the chorizo along with mushrooms, onions, garlic and topped with vegan cheese. The chorizo was really delicious, nice and smoky and the texture was great.
Chorizo and Mushroom Stuffed Potato Skins
Yields 3 servings as a main, 6 as a side or appetizer
- 3 baking potatoes, baked at 350F for 1hr 15 min and cooled
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 package of Upton’s Naturals chorizo seitan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Garnishes: diced tomato, arugula, thinly sliced green onions and my smoked paprika aioli from my latest e-book
- Preheat oven to 425F. Slice the cooled potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides just enough to stuff with 2-3 tablespoons of filling; place on a baking sheet and set to the side.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; stir in the onions and cook for 5-6 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Stir in the chorizo, salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes- vegetables should start to caramelize and everything combine.
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture into each of the potato skins; using all of the filling. Top with shredded vegan cheese- as much or as little as you like.
- Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil- making sure to tent the foil so that the cheese does not stick ot the foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes until the cheese has melted and the potato skins are lightly brown.
- Plate and garnish with your favorite toppings.