5 Suggestions on How to Make a Pantry Challenge Successful:
- The first thing you need to do is figure out why you want to have a pantry challenge, how much money you will need to spend on produce to make it successful and how long you think you will be able to do it. Also, don’t get so caught up in how long you do the pantry challenge because you might get a week and half in like I have and decide that you don’t have enough stocked in the pantry to go any further.
- Check out the weekly circulars for your local grocery stores before heading out to shop. This is a great way to find out what is on sale and you can use this to your advantage when planning your menu/outline of meals for the week.
- Look at recipes before you go shopping whether it’s online, in cookbooks or asking friends for advice on what to use with the items already in your pantry. Having an outline as to what you are going to make for the week will help to keep you on track and help to calm any frustration that might occur.
- Visit your local farmers market! Many times these are the places where you are going to get the best deals on produce and it’s local and many times organic which are two great bonuses! If you are like me and live in a northern climate farmers markets in the late fall/winter/early spring months are limited and don’t carry a vast amount of produce but are still worth checking out.
- Lastly, have fun! Get in the kitchen and just enjoy cooking and using those products that you have been stocking up. It’s spring cleaning for your cupboards!