I have recently dived back into health coaching head first and am participating in the IIN immersion program for the 3rd time. While today marks the official start of the program we were provided with a few tasks last week to help us in preparing for immersion. One of the tasks is called The Clean Sweep which was developed by Thomas Leonard.
So what is the clean sweep?
Basically the thought is that when you feel balanced/perfect alignment in the four major parts of our lives, environment, well-being, money, and relationships, that we can be more natural energy. “The Clean Sweep Program, created by Thomas Leonard, consists of 100 items which, when completed, give you the vitality and strength that you want.” You are to answer each of the 100 questions, 25 per category, as truthfully as possible and only answer YES if the statement is virtually always true. The end goal being that you will confidently answer YES to each answer.
I started this Clean Sweep process years ago but sort of forgot all about it until recently. As I went through the questions this past weekend I thought it would be interesting to actually share my answers with you and to follow up every three-to-six months on how things are going. I guess you could say that these are a bunch of mini goals I have for myself for the next few years.
So we’ll start of with Environment and i’ll preface this with saying I am not surprised by how many NO’s are in this category.
- My personal files, papers and receipts are neatly filled away. NO. This seems to be a constant struggle at our house and I really want to figure out away to get it under control.
- My car is in excellent condition. NO. I had to laugh when I read this one. Seriously? Who with a toddler and a baby has a perfectly clean car?
- My home is neat and clean. NO. Hangs head in shame.
- My appliances, machinery and equipment work well. YES.
- My clothes are all pressed, clean and make me look great. NO. This is another struggle I have had for years, or rather since getting pregnant with Edith. I am working on restocking my wardrobe with clothes that fit and make me feel great. As for laundry – 2 adults + 2 kids + cloth diapering = non-stop laundry. So maybe I’ll be able to answer YES to this when the kids move out?
- My plants and animals are healthy. N/A. One must have plants and animals to properly answer this question.
- My bed/bedroom lets me have the best sleep possible. NO.This is one of those grey area statements so I decided to go with NO. Our sleeping is less than ideal but we have two young children.
- I live in a home that I love. (Big Fat) NO.
- I surround myself with beautiful things. NO. I am so sad to say no to this answer and I really wish we had more beautiful things or at least things that I think are beautiful.
- I live in the geographic area of my choice. NO. Yes and no. I love living in the PNW and Portland area but the keyword right now is area. We need to move (back) to the neighborhood we love or somewhere near it #2016.
- There is ample and healthy lighting around me. NO.
- I consistently have adequate time, space and freedom in my life. HAHAHAHAHA. NO.
- I am not damaged by my environment. NO. So I said no to this one because not loving our home, neighborhood and just feeling blah makes me feel a bit damaged.
- I am not tolerating anything about my home or work environment. NO. ALL I AM DOING IS TOLERATING.
- My work environment is productive and inspiring. NO. We have failed at really putting our office area together #GOALS and right now it’s hard to be productive with babies hanging on you but instead of getting frustrated 90% of the time I embrace the time with them and try not to stress.
- I recycle. YES.
- I use non-ozone depleting products. YES.
- My hair is the way I want it. YES. This took me years to actually say YES to but I finally am getting my hair done every six weeks!
- I surround myself with music which makes my life more enjoyable. YES.This was one of my mini goals for March and whoot whoot I am succeeding. P.S. you can follow my March playlist over on Spotify.
- My bed is made daily. NO. Umm….
- I don’t injure myself, fall or bump into things. NO. I found this statement strange but I guess I have to go with NO.
- People feel comfortable in my home. NO. Ummm? I guess I would say NO just because I don’t always feel comfortable here? Would someone actually tell you?
- I drink purified water. YES.
- I have nothing around the house or in storage that I do not need. NO. This is a huge goal of ours for 2015 – declutter and not just declutter but minimize our things.
- I am consistently early or easily on time. NO. I miss being able to answer YES to this statement.
Total: 18 NO. 5 YES. 1 N/A.
This section of The Clean Sweep is pretty soul crushing actually. After completing it I was like so much to do to turn these NO’s into YES’ and I really would like to have 80% of them be YES’ by the end of the year. I would say there will be a few big and little goals for April that stem out of these results.
Have you/are you participating in The Clean Sweep? What are your results to this first category? Any surprises?
On March 9, 2015 our dear friends K. and J. welcomed their second baby girl into the world. To say we are over moon thrilled for them and big sister K. is an understatement. I am missing those squishy newborn days so I can’t wait to head on over today to finally meet baby L. (as I type this I’m wondering if they planned on sequential first initials…hmm? Anyways of course I am bringing over a new baby dish for them and yesterday afternoon I said wait a minute I should share this recipe with you all!
So K., J. & little K. are lovers of Panera, specifically the black bean soup so I thought why not attempt a copycat of one of their favorite soups? I have to say it turned out delicious and I am planning to make it again soon for ourselves.
Celebratory Black Bean Soup (Panera Copycat)
- 2 Teaspoons Grapeseed Oil (or oil of your choice)
- 3-15oz Tins of Reduced Sodium Black Beans, drained
- 1 Medium Red Onion, diced
- 2 Large Carrots, diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper (Red, Yellow or Orange), diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Vegan Chikn Boullion Cube
- 2-3 Cups Water, depending on how thick/thin you'd like your soup
- 1 Teaspoon Umiboshi Plum Vinegar
- Heat oil a heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and bell pepper, sauté for 7-10 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and spices.
- Stir in the black beans (drained not rinsed), tomato paste, boullion and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to medium-low to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- (Optional) remove 1/2-3/4 cup of soup and puree until smooth; return to pot and stir.
- Stir in the vinegar and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You don't have to use umi vinegar but I recommend it. I use it in basically every soup and sauce that I make because it just makes such a difference. Don't believe me? Try your soup or sauce before adding and then stir it in and taste again- taste the difference?
Running With Tongs http://runningwithtongs.com/
I am pairing this soup with Beanitos aka my favorite corn-free tortilla chips, a Porter (beer) because L’s middle name is Porter, a session IPA (low alcohol for mum if she so desires), a dry soda and a batch of fresh lactation cookies and some for the freezer because who doesn’t prefer warm cookies straight from the oven and honestly it’s super easy to do. Hoping they enjoy this basket of goodies!
Interested in more vegan recipe copycats? Let me know in the comments below!
What’s your favorite soup? I love a really good “cream” of tomato with crusty bread (obvs).
Deodorant’s are often classified as one of those TMI topics but let’s all be real for a moment we all perspire and unless you are one of the lucky ones most of us tend to start to stink without the use of deodorant. Since without deodorant I personal start to smell a bit offensive I have to use it and I am always on the lookout for really great natural deodorants because for me it’s really important to use products that aren’t filled with heavy metals, chemicals and other toxic ingredients. The problem is that there aren’t a lot of natural deodorants that really do the job of warding off the offensive smell.
If you read my February favorites you know that I have been loving Caitlin’s Super Natural Deodorant. I talked all about why I love it so head on over to this post to read more because this post is all about how you can win this set of three deodorants yourself. First here are some reasons to love Caitlin’s Super Natural deodorants:
Giveaway: One winner. Must be a US Resident.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
P.S. Little Rock, AR friends you can now find Caitlin’s Super Natural at your local store! Friends who shop at Whole Foods if you’d like to see Caitlin’s Super Natural at your store then next time you’re in request that they sell it there!
Disclaimer: Caitlin’s Super Natural sent me these three 2-oz samples to try. I was under no obligation to post a positive review and I received no further compensation. I simply love this deodorant and I am thrilled to share it with you.
I go through phases where I binge on greens and then there are times when I want nothing to do with them. Right now I am just loving greens, all day, everyday. I think it’s in part due to Neil’s juice til dinner cleanse he did at the start of this week. It really forced […]
Disclaimer: This is in no way a sponsored post. We purchase our weekly box with our own money and choose to share it with you just for fun. It’s time for another organics delivery box haul! Back in January I blogged our first Organics To You box (see post here) of the year so I […]
I tell you I hate to write this post. I mean I don’t have to but I want to share with you that training for a race while having a baby and a toddler is a challenge. I had these grand ideas of getting back to running regularly (3-4x per week) but lately it’s been […]
Body Care Product Who else has been on the search for a really great natural deodorant? I have found you one. No seriously I have. I have tried I want to say 8+ kinds myself and Neil has tried a few himself and some have been okay, some have irritate my pits (no pretty way […]