Creamed Spinach and Parsnips
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds small parsnips, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 cup vegan “chicken” broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1. In a large, deep skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the Earth Balance in the oil. Add the parsnips and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer over low heat until the parsnips are tender, about 8 minutes.
2. Stir spinach into to parsnips.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of Earth Balance and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Whisk in the soy milk and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a boil, whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir the sauce into the spinach and parsnips and bring to a simmer. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Potato Latkes with Apple Sauce and Scallion Sour Cream
1 ½ lb red potatoes peeled and grated
¼ cup finely chopped scallions
2 “eggs” (use a powdered egg replacer like Ener-g)
2 T flour
1 ½ t salt and pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
Grate the potatoes and squeeze the liquid out of them.
In a bowl mix together the potatoes, flour, shallots, “eggs”, salt and pepper.
In a large skillet heat ¼ in of oil over medium high heat.
Drop heaping tablespoons of potato mixture and cook 3-4 minutes a side.
Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Serve immediately with applesauce and scallion sour cream
2 ½ lbs apples peeled and cored
3 T sugar
1 T lemon
3 T water
Combine everything in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
Cover and lower heat to a simmer, cook for 20 minutes.
Uncover and cook 30 minutes.
Scallion Sour Cream
5 scallions sliced, both greens and whites
1 package of lite silken tofu
1 T lemon juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon agave
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a blender of food processor, blend all tofu through salt together, then place in a bowl.
Stir in sliced scallions.
Brussels Sprouts and Udon Noodles in Miso Sauce
I have been testing out some recipes from The New Vegan by Lorna Sass who is also the author of The New Soy Cookbook. This book is a great introduction to vegan recipes, the first chapter features how to stock your vegan pantry. The best thing about this cookbook is that there is a photo to go with almost every recipe. For those of who have been cooking for years pictures are not so important but being a new cook or new to vegan cuisine it is great to have a photo reference to go with a recipe.
I made the Brussels Sprouts and Udon Noodles in Miso Sauce from the book and it was delicious. I love that this book features recipes from various cuisines in a way that is approachable for anyone. This book although called the “New Vegan” is great for any level of cook and anyone interested in veganism/vegetarianism.
Click to view on Amazon
I was saddened this morning when I went to make my morning coffee and all of my Ethiopian Organic coffee from The Roasterie was all gone. This quickly became my absolute favorite coffee of the moment and if you know me I try lots of coffees but nothing (so far) has compared to this one. […]
Tonight I made some peppermint fudge a variation on Hannah Kaminsky’s Coconut Fudge from My Sweet Vegan. It is great and is going to hopefully be a hit with my co-workers tomorrow. I also made some vegan chex mix something I’ve always wanted to do. I used Nature’s Path Oaty Bites instead of the traditional […]
If you didn’t already know my husband and I are huge fans of Asian food. Thai, Chinese, Malaysia, Indian, Korean, Japanese….you name it we pretty much love it, so I was excited when I was given the opportunity to try out The Asian Vegan Kitchen, a great cookbook filled with a variety Asian […]
SPICY CHIPOTLE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH This is a great recipe for your next holiday party, dinner or brunch. It combines the sweet flavors of the squash with the smokey spice of the chipotle chili powder. Spice up your next meal with this recipe! 2 small Butternut Squash, peeled and diced 4 teaspoons canola […]