This is a recipe i came up with randomly. I was making black bean soup and we had a ton of left overs so i made this.
Black Bean Burrito Bake
Layer in a casserole dish:
2 cups of red rice
1 cup black bean soup
1 cup black beans
1 cup salsa
1 cup vegan cheddar
1/4 cup green onions
top with crushed sweet chili heat chips
back at 350F for 25-30 minutes
I love making soup and using anything i can find in the kitchen to make it. I unfortunately do not measure much when i do this so here are the basic ingredients that I used to make this soup.
1 32oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 packet of onion soup mix
2 servings of whole wheat couscous (cooked)
1 can of butter beans
about 2 cups of vegetable broth
1 tablespoon of earth balance
1 small onion
1-2 gloves garlic
I sauted the onion and garlic in oil until the onion was soft. Then i added the tomatoes, broth and earth balance. Let cook for 10 minutes. Then add beans, couscous, and onion soup mix. let cook 10 more minutes. serve warm. best if made a day ahead and reheated.
Chocolate Cheesecake with Oreo Crust
1/2 block soft tofu, drained
1/3 cup + 1T soy milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mixture can be prepared the night before you plan to make it. Preheat oven to 375F. Soften tofu in large mixing bowl, combining in cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sugar. Once the added ingredients are combined, gradually stir in chocolate soy milk. Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
2 1/2 cups vegan creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (i.e. vegan version of Oreos)
2 tablespoon margarine
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place cookies in large plastic bag and crush with rolling pin. Or crush the cookies in a food processor.
3. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl, drizzle with melted margarine, and mix with fingers until well combined. Pour crumbs into 9-inch pie plate.
4. Press crumbs evenly onto bottom and up sides of pie plate.
5. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm crumbs, Bake until crumbs are set, about 10 minutes. Let it cool.
6. Pour mixture into oreo crust. Place in preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes until the top of the cheesecake appears solid. Allow cheesecake to sit in fridge for 1 to 2 hours, before serving.
This recipe for Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake serves/makes 4
Okay, so there’s defintiely pictures to come. I promise.
At least once a week, Lindsay and I make breakfast food. Sometimes it is actually for breakfast and others it is for lunch or dinner. Either way, it’s my time to make food for her since she usually makes everything else (with my assistance of course!). My breakfast specialty is tofu scrambler and we always have that with a side or two (usually toast and hashbrowns or fake breakfast “meat”).
I don’t use a recipe or anything for the scramble, just add spices and veggies (and sometimes veg*n cheese or bacon) to the mix and go.
Here’s what i used for this batch:
- chopped mushrooms
- diced onions
- diced tomatoes
- veggie spice
- 1 block of vegetable tofu (FIRM)
and the process:
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Fry up the onions and mushrooms in olive oil until the onions are translucent
- Crumble the block of tofu into the pan
- Mix in about a cup of salsa
- Min in a couple of teaspoons of veggie spice for flavour and colour
- Mix in cumin, curry, paprika, turmeric to taste/smell
- Make sure everything is mixed well and reduce heat on the frying pan and let it cook for a while to absorb in all the flavours
Poor Neil is sick so i decided to make him some soup to get better!
1 small onion
1 large carrot
1 largish potato
a few mushrooms
a few morningstar chicken strips
1 head of roasted garlic
6 cups of “chicken” stock
1 teaspoon of veggie boullion
2 teaspoons of veggie seasoning
salt and pepper
1 can of canellni beans
1 tablespoon of cornstarch and a little of the cooking liquid
saute the onion in oil while doing this cut up the carrot and potato and then add to pot. cook for a bit and then add the diced up mushrooms and chicken strips. stir and then add the veggie seasoning and salt and pepper. mix and let cook about a minute. then add the “chicken” stock and the veggie boullion. mix a bit of the cooking liquid with the cornstarch and then add. Let come to a boil. Then add the beans and roasted garlic. Let simmer about 30 min. (best to set over night)