Now that the weather is turning colder I just love to start my mornings with a big bowl of warm porridge. I often I make oatmeal but I have been wanting to mix things up so I have been trying other grains in this case red quinoa. The quinoa is super nutty, nourishing and a great start to the day. I like to make a big batch at the start of the week and use it throughout the week for nourishing dinner bowls, stir fries and now breakfast porridges.
The first time I made this recipe it was actually for Edith’s Friday night dinner. See every Friday night Neil and I have an at home date night so we sit down with Edith while she eats dinner but Neil and I don’t have dinner until she has been put to bed and then we make up something special to eat or on a rare occasion get takeout. Anyways I made this for her basically because I could throw it together with very little cooking it is super nutritious. She went nuts for it and ate a huge bowl. I made it again for the both of us the next day for breakfast and I have to say I can see what all the fuss was about it’s simply amazing!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4-1/2 small apple cut into thin sticks
- 1-2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup
- In a small pot heat the quinoa and coconut milk just until it starts to bubble.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds; allow to sit for 3-4 minutes allowing the chia seeds to soak up the liquid.
- Divide into two bowls and top each bowl with almond butter, apple sticks, a drizzle or two of maple syrup and a big pinch of cinnamon.