Earlier this week we discussed dining out now lets talk about eating in.
How can eating at home help?
You have control – You have all of the control. You can control: the portion sizes, the quality of ingredients and the costs. When we eat at home we are able to buy high quality ingredients to make dishes that are tasty, healthy and better ﬁt our budget. You can control the salt and the fat, which helps you take control of your diet.
Meal Planning Tips:
- Plan you menu for the week and make a grocery list. Make sure to include snacks and drinks on your list. Planning will help you to stay on track and to cut costs.
- Focus on simple, healthy meals during the week and one “WOW” dinner on the weekend. When you keep things simple you reduce stress and the desire to eat out. The “WOW” dinner is a replacement for eating out; make something special and make an event out of it. One of our favorite things to do is pick a movie and create a meal that follows the theme of the movie.
- Have a prep day. One of the biggest challenges many of us face is time. Take one day per week, I ﬁnd Sundays work well for me, and prep your meals for the week. This helps things run smoothly through the week and you will have more time doing the things you want, rather than being in the kitchen all night.
- Buy in bulk and portion out. I love to buy nuts, seeds and dried fruit in bulk for snacks. When I get home I portion them out into little containers so they are easy to grab and go. This is also great to do with other snacks such as veggie sticks and hummus or whole grain crackers and salsa.
- Keep it simple and have fun.
Can you believe it’s almost March? That means that my February Healthy Challenge is just about over and the March Healthy Challenge is about ready to start. However before we finally move on to March I want to make sure you have a go to week of post-cleanse friendly recipes to try. These recipes will reintroduce some fermented soy products and gluten if you would like to.
At this point you can enjoy a glass of wine or a mug of coffee, if you so choose, but I have a feeling you might be more interested in green juice than black coffee. Speaking of coffee I had my first 10 ounce regular coffee today, after a rough baby night, and I have to say it was terrible. I was so wired it made me uncomfortable and I was shaky. I have to say I’m a decaf convert.
For More Recipes Visit My Pinterest Cleanse Board:
Ready to take on March’s challenge? 31 days of yoga- can you do it?
I have been really off the ball this week when it comes to meal planning! Monday I was wiped out from our crazy busy weekend and then yesterday I got home and didn’t want to do anything but hang out on the couch so I still didn’t do my meal planning. Now here we are on Wednesday morning and I am FINALLY planning the menu for the week.
Meals we’ve eaten:
- Monday: Dinner out- Veggie Burgers
- Tuesday: Baked polenta with marinara and a side of cheezy broccoli and white beans
- Wednesday: Veggie Burgers on top of sauteed kale with baked sweet potato fries (we had this last Friday for dinner and I am craving it again)
- Thursday: Veggie Curry Noodles
- Friday: Homemade Mexican Pizza
- Saturday: Breakfast- fruit and Babycakes GF Pumpkin Spice Muffins; Lunch- Vegetable Chickpea Soup with Homemade Bread; Dinner: Coconut Quinoa Dahl
- Sunday: Brunch at Duino Duende; Dinner- Quinoa Mac & Cheese with Kale
What’s on your menu this week?
This week is kind of a mess. I honestly don’t have much to plan for as we are going to be eating out of the house many nights this week but I’ll take a shot at it.
Monday: Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry with Brown Rice
Very Veggie Taco Salad*
Wednesday: Midwife Appointment = dinner at American Flatbread- TRADITION!
Restaurant Week Dinner at Pauline’s Cafe*
Friday: Dinner with friends (I know we’ll be bringing something I am just not sure what yet)
Saturday: Veggie Sausages with roasted potatoes and veggies
Since we will be out to eat a bunch this week I need to pick up sandwich fixings for lunches.
Also hopefully on the menu this week will be cinnamon buns made by the husband!
*I wrote this before we went away for the weekend and the ingredients I came home with don’t really fit what I had initially intended so Tuesday and Thursday are up in the air and possibly Saturday as well.
Happy Monday! For once I actually completed and shopped for my meals for the week a day early, however had we not been out of food for dinner last night I probably would have been working on my meal plan and shopping today. It feels great though to be able to head straight home from work without stopping at the market, especially on a beautiful day like today!
This week I decided to change things up a bit, instead of working on new recipes I decided to let someone else do the work for me and I am trying out a number of recipes from Raw & Beyond and trying out a new recipe from one of my old favorite cookbooks Therapeutic Chef. I love working on new recipes but this week is busy and we are heading away for the weekend so I decided to keep things easy.
Sunday: Lunch- Field Roast Sausage and Broccoli Pesto Pizza (on homemade crust by my baker husband) and for Dinner we had Fancy Pants Tempeh Salad with lots of veggies, chipotle-balsamic tempeh and potato wedges. Dessert- Dates stuffed with a little almond butter and mini-chocolate chips
Monday: Lunch- Brown Rice Wraps with lettuce, tomato and leftover chipotle-balsamic tempeh with a side of kiwi and sweet potato chips. Dinner- Chipotle Tostadas from Raw & Beyond
Tuesday: Lunch- Leftovers with fruit and Ranch Kale chips from Raw & Beyond. Dinner- Steamed veggies from Raw & Beyond with beans and rice.
Wednesday: Lunch- Leftovers with fruit and kale chips. Dinner- Lentil Dahl Wraps from Therapeutic Chef
Thursday: Lunch- Leftovers with fruit and kale chips or granola bar. Dinner- Fire-Roasted Tomato-Lentil Chile from Raw & Beyond with brown rice
Friday: Lunch- Leftovers in burrito form with fruit and granola bar. Dinner- OUT! We head to Maine Friday afternoon for the weekend Wahoo!
Sunday: OUT! …Dinner- TBD
What is on your plan this week?
Catching up? I just posted our Weekend Wrap check it out! Also if you are looking for a new recipe check cout my Cucumber & Tomato Salad recipe over on my coaching blog.
This week is all about the sandwiches, from bagel to wrap and everything in between. Why might you ask are we going sandwich crazy? Well honestly it’s been one of my cravings lately and secondly I am working some new fun, quick and easy spring/summer recipes for the blog.
What’s on the menu this week:
Cinnamon Raisin Bagels with Sliced Banana, Almond Butter and a honey
Oatmeal with fruit and nuts
T: Falafel Pita Sandwich with Yogurt-Herb Spread
W: Marinated Tempeh, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich with Mashed Avocado Spread
Th: Pan Fried Tofu and veggie slaw wrap with tahini sauce
F: Chickpea Salad Sandwich
M: Falafel Pita Sandwich with Yogurt-Herb Spread
T: Pita Pizzas with cherry tomatoes, walnut-parsley pesto and white beans
W: Pan Fried Tofu and veggie slaw wrap with tahini sauce
Th: Open Faced Chickpea Salad Sandwiches with tomato and red onion
F: Burrito Bowls with beans, rice and veggies
What’s on your menu this week?