After posting this dinner last night on my Instagram I had a few requests for the recipe so here it is.
We spent most of yesterday out of the house at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival about an hour south of Portland. It was luckily a beautiful day and we soaked up the sun and festival with friends.
After parting ways we headed to the outlets since they were on the way home and mama needed some new clothes. After two many hours of shopping we finally headed home. While in the car we got to talking about dinner and discussed grabbing dinner out but Edith insisted that we eat dinner at home and that we have mac and cheese. We agreed but first stopped to pick up a few provisions which included the ingredients to make said mac and cheese.
My original thought was to do a customize your own mac and cheese and then Neil said “you know what would be really good [in the mac and cheese] some of that Sweet Earth bacon” so his brilliant idea won. I added kale because kale + bacon is great and because greens. Everyone enjoyed it and it was deemed a must make again meal.
What did you do this weekend?
Benevolent Bacon Mac and Cheese with | Vegan
This vegan mac and cheese recipe features Sweet Earth Natural Foods Benevolent Bacon.
- 3/4lb of Small Pasta, cook according to package
- 2 Tablespoons Earth Balance
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 2/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, room temperature or lightly warmed
- 1 Cup Shredded Dayia Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Garlic Cloves, divided
- 1 Vegan Chik'n Boullion Cube
- 1 Package Sweet Earth Natural Foods Benevolent Bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Bunch Lacinato Kale
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking saute the kale and 2 cloves of garlic in 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside; add the remaining olive oil and sautee the bacon until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan heat melt the Earth Balance over low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook on low for 90 seconds whisking the entire time. Whisk in the the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Slowly whisk the almond milk into the Earth Balance and flour mixture and then whisk in the vegan chik'n boullion cube. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce coats the back a spoon.
- Add the Dayia to the sauce and whisk until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained return the pasta back to it's pot and add all the ingredients. Stir to combine.
Running With Tongs http://runningwithtongs.com/
We spent a lot of time out of the house at parks, festivals and doing a little shopping.
What is your favorite mac and cheese recipe? Do you like to add anything special to yours?
Raise your hand if you are a pasta-o-holic like me. I would say in an average week we have pasta at least twice and that’s only because I purposely don’t buy enough to have it everyday of the week – or we would. Edith requests pasta most days of the week and today I said YES and pasta is what we had.
Most of the time I make some sort of vegan mac and cheese or a pesto pasta for lunches. Since Alder is now eating err…playing with solids I wanted to make something that he could taste too so I decided to go with a nut-free pesto. It was also the perfect way to get Edith to eat some greens because lately she has been a little more picky with her food.
Anyways I made this pasta dish and it turned out fantastic. Even Edith who told me while I was making it that she wasn’t going to eat it declared that it was her “favorite best pasta”. So basically this pasta dish is a winner. Enjoy!
(Kid Approved) Nut-Free Pesto Pasta
- 2 servings pasta of your choice
- 1 cup broccoli (fresh or defrosted frozen)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or defrosted frozen)
- 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Italian Field Roast Sausage (optional), diced and lightly bowned
- Reserve a bit of cooking water
- Cook pasta according to package.
- To a food processor all the ingredients except sausage and cooking water; process until smooth. (If making for baby as well see note below).
- Toss pasta with pesto and sausage adding as bit of cooking water as necessary to reach desired sauce consistency.
- For Alder I added just the olive oil, peas, broccoli and nutritional yeast to the food processor and blended until smooth; I removed a few tablespoons to toss with a bit of pasta and then added remaining ingredients.
Running With Tongs http://runningwithtongs.com/
What is your go-to pasta dish or lunch dish?
I have recently dived back into health coaching head first and am participating in the IIN immersion program for the 3rd time. While today marks the official start of the program we were provided with a few tasks last week to help us in preparing for immersion. One of the tasks is called The Clean Sweep which was developed by Thomas Leonard.
So what is the clean sweep?
Basically the thought is that when you feel balanced/perfect alignment in the four major parts of our lives, environment, well-being, money, and relationships, that we can be more natural energy. “The Clean Sweep Program, created by Thomas Leonard, consists of 100 items which, when completed, give you the vitality and strength that you want.” You are to answer each of the 100 questions, 25 per category, as truthfully as possible and only answer YES if the statement is virtually always true. The end goal being that you will confidently answer YES to each answer.
I started this Clean Sweep process years ago but sort of forgot all about it until recently. As I went through the questions this past weekend I thought it would be interesting to actually share my answers with you and to follow up every three-to-six months on how things are going. I guess you could say that these are a bunch of mini goals I have for myself for the next few years.
So we’ll start of with Environment and i’ll preface this with saying I am not surprised by how many NO’s are in this category.
- My personal files, papers and receipts are neatly filled away. NO. This seems to be a constant struggle at our house and I really want to figure out away to get it under control.
- My car is in excellent condition. NO. I had to laugh when I read this one. Seriously? Who with a toddler and a baby has a perfectly clean car?
- My home is neat and clean. NO. Hangs head in shame.
- My appliances, machinery and equipment work well. YES.
- My clothes are all pressed, clean and make me look great. NO. This is another struggle I have had for years, or rather since getting pregnant with Edith. I am working on restocking my wardrobe with clothes that fit and make me feel great. As for laundry – 2 adults + 2 kids + cloth diapering = non-stop laundry. So maybe I’ll be able to answer YES to this when the kids move out?
- My plants and animals are healthy. N/A. One must have plants and animals to properly answer this question.
- My bed/bedroom lets me have the best sleep possible. NO.This is one of those grey area statements so I decided to go with NO. Our sleeping is less than ideal but we have two young children.
- I live in a home that I love. (Big Fat) NO.
- I surround myself with beautiful things. NO. I am so sad to say no to this answer and I really wish we had more beautiful things or at least things that I think are beautiful.
- I live in the geographic area of my choice. NO. Yes and no. I love living in the PNW and Portland area but the keyword right now is area. We need to move (back) to the neighborhood we love or somewhere near it #2016.
- There is ample and healthy lighting around me. NO.
- I consistently have adequate time, space and freedom in my life. HAHAHAHAHA. NO.
- I am not damaged by my environment. NO. So I said no to this one because not loving our home, neighborhood and just feeling blah makes me feel a bit damaged.
- I am not tolerating anything about my home or work environment. NO. ALL I AM DOING IS TOLERATING.
- My work environment is productive and inspiring. NO. We have failed at really putting our office area together #GOALS and right now it’s hard to be productive with babies hanging on you but instead of getting frustrated 90% of the time I embrace the time with them and try not to stress.
- I recycle. YES.
- I use non-ozone depleting products. YES.
- My hair is the way I want it. YES. This took me years to actually say YES to but I finally am getting my hair done every six weeks!
- I surround myself with music which makes my life more enjoyable. YES.This was one of my mini goals for March and whoot whoot I am succeeding. P.S. you can follow my March playlist over on Spotify.
- My bed is made daily. NO. Umm….
- I don’t injure myself, fall or bump into things. NO. I found this statement strange but I guess I have to go with NO.
- People feel comfortable in my home. NO. Ummm? I guess I would say NO just because I don’t always feel comfortable here? Would someone actually tell you?
- I drink purified water. YES.
- I have nothing around the house or in storage that I do not need. NO. This is a huge goal of ours for 2015 – declutter and not just declutter but minimize our things.
- I am consistently early or easily on time. NO. I miss being able to answer YES to this statement.
Total: 18 NO. 5 YES. 1 N/A.
This section of The Clean Sweep is pretty soul crushing actually. After completing it I was like so much to do to turn these NO’s into YES’ and I really would like to have 80% of them be YES’ by the end of the year. I would say there will be a few big and little goals for April that stem out of these results.
Have you/are you participating in The Clean Sweep? What are your results to this first category? Any surprises?
On March 9, 2015 our dear friends K. and J. welcomed their second baby girl into the world. To say we are over moon thrilled for them and big sister K. is an understatement. I am missing those squishy newborn days so I can’t wait to head on over today to finally meet baby L. (as […]
Deodorant’s are often classified as one of those TMI topics but let’s all be real for a moment we all perspire and unless you are one of the lucky ones most of us tend to start to stink without the use of deodorant. Since without deodorant I personal start to smell a bit offensive I […]
I go through phases where I binge on greens and then there are times when I want nothing to do with them. Right now I am just loving greens, all day, everyday. I think it’s in part due to Neil’s juice til dinner cleanse he did at the start of this week. It really forced […]
Disclaimer: This is in no way a sponsored post. We purchase our weekly box with our own money and choose to share it with you just for fun. It’s time for another organics delivery box haul! Back in January I blogged our first Organics To You box (see post here) of the year so I […]