There aren’t many foods that I have been really craving this pregnancy (with the exception of mint chip coconut ice cream – a flavour I usually hate) but I have been on a muffin kick and in the last week I have made two batches of muffins- one banana and the other blueberry-orange. I don’t know what it is but as soon as I started to feel a bit better I wanted to get into the kitchen to bake muffins. Side note this is a really fun activity with an 18 month old because they can help with pour, stirring and mixing.
So I really should have written down everything I did for the blueberry-orange as well because they were so good but instead I’ll share the recipe for my banana muffins instead which don’t get me wrong they were delicious as well.
- 3 Small Bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, mixed and set aside for 5-10 minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line or grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In the base of an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix together the banana, almond milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, coconut oil and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on low slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until just combined.
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way full and then place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tin for 4-5 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely (or enjoy warm with earth balance).