There is nothing more warming or comforting than a big bowl of soup. As the days get colder you can find me in my kitchen cooking up big pots of soup to enjoy with a slice (or three) of crusty bread. This hearty recipe is low in fat and calories while still being warming, comforting and of course filling!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large red bliss potatoes, washed and diced
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable or vegetarian “chicken” broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the 4-quart stock pot over medium-high heat; add 1/4 cup of water, carrots and onion. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, stir to coat the veggies. Add the split peas and broth. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 30-35 or split peas are tender.