One of my favorite childhood dishes was potatoes au gratin. Now was a vegan and adult I have had to work to try and make a healthier version as well as dairy free. This dish is gluten and soy free for those with allergies and is delicious. It isn’t the cheese covered potatoes of my childhood but it is a great upgrade.
- 4 cups parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat; add olive oil, leeks and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the almond meal, almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and the sauteed leeks and garlic.
- In a roasting pan or casserole dish layer the parsnips, carrots and almond milk mixture starting with 1/3 cup liquid, 1/3 of the carrots and parsnips and repeat two more times. Pour any remaining almond milk mixture over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly