Lately I have been craving veggie burgers and last week I finally incorporated them into my meal plan for the week. I had actually intended to make black bean burgers but I forgot to soak and cook my dried black beans so I swapped out the black beans for a can of brown lentils that I had in the pantry.
To help make perfect patties I used our Cuisinart Patty Maker, which was actually on our wedding registry because we love homemade veggie burgers so much. Two tips I have to make these really tasty burgers are to make sure to preheat your oven and line your baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Now these burgers are a little messy but they are delicious!
Mexican Lentil Burgers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, deiced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 5 button mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-15 oz can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Serve With:
- Sriracha Mayo: Vegan Mayo + Sriracha
- Whole Wheat English Muffin
Preheat oven to 450. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium- high heat.
Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and carrots; cook for 5-7 minutes until soft.
Stir in the garlic.
Place all ingredients into a food processor and process just until combined.
Form into patties and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve on an English Muffin (or bun or on a plate of greens) with sriracha mayo, tomato and avocado.