Chickpea & Potato Tagine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2″ rounds
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-25oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
- 4 Medjool dates, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Harissa (optional)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
Heat heat the oil in a 4-quart heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and cook 5-7 minutes until soft.
Stir in the potatoes and carrots and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in the turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon.
Stir in the broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
Cover and reduce to low and cook for 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Stir in the chickpeas and dates and season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the harissa and almonds.
Garnish with cilantro and a slivered almonds.
Serve with Lemon-Herb Couscous.