This past weekend the Hubz and I went out for lunch at Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup where I debated between two soup/chili options and ultimately ordered a big cup of chili while the Hubz had the hot/cold bar. The other soup that I was hotly debating over was a Sweet Potato-Carrot Soup which became my inspiration for last nights dinner. Having no idea what else was in Stone Soup’s Sweet Potato-Carrot Soup my inspiration was limited to sweet potatoes and carrots and the fact that it was a creamy pureed soup. I decided that I would go for a smoky sweet flavoring for the soup and serve it up with a nice green salad (and a veggie frankfurter for him).
Sweet and Smoky Sweet Potato-Carrot Soup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon umeboshi vinegar (or substitute with red wine vinegar)
- Prick the skin of the sweet potatoes and bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour.
- In a medium heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chipotle powder and sweet paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- While the broth is simmering remove the sweet potato from the skin and mash together in a bowl.
- Place the broth and sweet potato in a food processor or blender (you may have to do this in two parts depending on the size of your machine) and process until smooth.
- Return to the pot and season with salt, pepper and umeboshi vinegar.