“Sausage” Stuffed Mushrooms
These mushrooms make a great appetizer for any dinner or cocktail party. You can make the stuffing ahead of time and fill mushrooms and bake before your guest arrive. The stuffing would also be delicious in zucchini boats and stuffed squash. You could also stuff portobello mushrooms and serve with your favorite sides as an entree.
- 16 white mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Marsala wine (you could also use sherry or vegetable broth)
- 1 vegan Italian Sausage (I used Field Roast), minced
- 6 scallions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons of vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside. Place the mushroom caps in a shallow bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and Marsala. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, mushroom stems, garlic and green onions cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the panko crumbs, stirring to combine evenly with all the other ingredients.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the cream cheese until it has melted and made the sausage mixture creamy.
- Place in a medium bowl and stir in the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
- Fill each mushroom generously with the sausage mixture. Arrange the mushrooms in a baking dish large enough to hold all the mushrooms in a snug single layer.
- Bake until the stuffing for 50 minutes, until the stuffing is browned and crusty.