Creamed Spinach and Parsnips
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds small parsnips, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 cup vegan “chicken” broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1. In a large, deep skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the Earth Balance in the oil. Add the parsnips and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer over low heat until the parsnips are tender, about 8 minutes.
2. Stir spinach into to parsnips.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of Earth Balance and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Whisk in the soy milk and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a boil, whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir the sauce into the spinach and parsnips and bring to a simmer. Transfer to a bowl and serve.