The other night for dinner my husband asked if we could have Pulled Mushroom Sandwiches. Now these are a play off of a pulled pork sandwich and are delicious! We received a bunch of shiitake mushrooms in our CSA this week and I had some left over cremini mushrooms as well so it was a prefect time to make these yummy sandwiches. I served them with a side of sweet potato fries and steamed brussels sprouts.
Pulled Mushroom Sandwiches with Quick Napa Slaw and Spicy Agave Mustard Dipping Sauce (for the sweet potato)
Makes 4 Servings
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lg onion, thinly, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 T safflower oil
- 2 T garlic A-1 steak sauce
- 2 T BBQ sauce
- 1 T dijion mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron pan over medium high heat and add the mushrooms and onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the mushrooms and onions have caramelized, making sure to stir occasionally.
- While the mushrooms and onions are cooking in a small bowl mix together the steak sauce, bbq sauce and dijion mustard.
- When the mushrooms and onions have caramelized add the steak sauce mixture and stir together. Turn to low and let simmer while you prepare the slaw.
Quick Napa Slaw
- 1 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1 T reduced fat vegenaise
- 1 T Drew’s Smoked Tomato Dressing
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Toss everything together.
To assemble the sandwich:
Take 2 rolls and place 1/4 of the slaw on the bottom. Top with 1/4 of the mushroom mixture.
Spicy Agave Mustard Sauce- this goes great with the sweet potato and brussels
- 1/4 cup of Dijion mustard
- 1 T agave
- 1 t chipotle chili powder
- Mix together.